Fight Like a Physicist: The Incredible Science Behind Martial Arts (Martial Science)
Amazon.com Price: $12.69 (as of 10/04/2023 11:16 PST- Details) Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
In addition to breaking down the principles at the back of the punches, Dr. Thalken, a computational physicist with a long history of martial arts across more than a few styles, applies the way of thinking of a physicist to plenty of controversial topics in the martial arts:
- Making physics your “unfair advantage,” in the ring and at the street
- Examining center of mass, pi, levers, wedges, angular momentum, and linear momentum for martial artists
- Protecting the brains of fighters and football players from concussions
- Reducing traumatic brain injury in contact sports
- Exposing the illusion of safety provided by gloves and helmets
- Overturning conventional wisdom on compliance all through an assault
- Busting Hollywood action myths
- Giving the mystical side of martial arts a much-needed reality check
Dr. Thalken invites readers to take a scientific approach to training and fighting, and provides the entire tools necessary to get the most out of their experiences and make their training count.